2016 was the year that “transgender” crossed from the unique and rare into topical conversations across the country, and around the world.
It wasn’t the usual suspects — Caitlyn Jenner, Laverne Cox and the Republicans who enacted North Carolina‘s House Bill 2 — that propelled gender identity into the mainstream, but a number of outstanding, unsung heroes, individuals whose actions changed the way trans people are seen and heard.
The top ten transgender stories of 2016 prominently feature bathrooms (duh), selfies (but of course), and the danger of self-harm — which is not unexpected, given that trans people consider or attempt suicide at a rate far higher than the general population. But many of the top ten also feature hope, resilience, and perseverance against adversity.
- This trans man has devised the perfect way to tell women why he’s in their bathroom
- This lawmaker thought he was in the presence of a transgender woman. So he ‘threatened to wave his penis’ at her.
- Pope Francis denounces transgender people as ‘annihilation of man’
- This bill awards $2,500 to anyone who catches a transgender person in the bathroom
- Virginia lawmakers: ‘Adults must check children’s private parts before entering restroom’
- Secret deodorant’s amazing new trans-themed ad: ‘No wrong way to be a woman’
- Trans guy captures his transition by snapping a selfie every day for 3 years
- Mother sues hospital for calling suicidal trans son a girl repeatedly
- Transgender man sums up the insanity of North Carolina’s new bill with one brilliant Tweet
- Elder trans comedian slays judges on America’s Got Talent